Aug 16, 2014

Springfield: Wittenberg University!

Last tuesday, I moved in to my dorm room. My roommate won't arrive until tomorrow (sunday). The dorm room is in New Hall, which is the newest (and nicest) hall of them all. My mom and sister helped me unpack my stuff and we went to get some last things at Walmart. When my room was ready and I was 'moved in', the three of us went to a deli not too far off campus to meet the Field Hockey team. I met a lot of new people and everybody was so nice: I got super excited to be part of the team (or family as they call themselves). 

The day after move-in-day, the team had paperwork day. We had breakfast at 7.30 AM in the CDR (the campus cafeteria), which is 50 steps from my dorm which is great. We spent the rest of the day going over papers, signing them, getting health-checks, doing some health tests and of course getting to know each other better. We also got to see our locker room, lockers and uniforms: they are awesome.

Today was the first day of practice. We had to get up at 5 AM and be at Hyper (the athletic center) at 6 AM to get our two miles run: we had to run two hilly miles (3,2km) in less than 16 minutes (which I did not make at all, it took me 17 minutes something). One girl pooped her pants and another peed in her pants (both are the cutest and nicest but of course athletic girls) and I almost peed mine too: I had to stop walking for a while to keep it in. So yeah, it was hard.

We had breakfast, a reading discussion and a one hour break. I took a quick shower and met up with my mom and sister for the last time in a really long time. My mom had to cry when we had to say goodbye, but that was only because she loves me so much. I love you mom and Juul!

After I said my goodbyes, the team went on a hike. The hike was really pretty and we went shopping in a hippie kind of street afterwards, so that was cool. After the hike we had a one and a half hour break in which I went to Target to get some spandex shorts and flip-flops. Then the real deal began: we had a two hour turf practice on the Football Field (BTW There are over a hundred football players, while you only have 11 players in the field. All hundred something had training before we did, and it looked awful: so many people got injured and vomited and stuff. I guess they need a lot of back-up players for a sport this tough.) 

I was already tired and sore, so I was exhausted after turf practice. Even though we've only had one day of pre-season, I can already tell that it's going to be tough, exhausting, tiring and painful, but fun.


My dorm room - Still a bit empty

The CDR (cafeteria)

The Field Hockey Lockerroom

Hiking with the team in Yellow Springs




5 comments: