Aug 22, 2014

Pre-Season & New Student Day

My roommate, Rayika, arrived last sunday. I'm so happy that she came in early as well (she's an international student from India) because the room is now less empty and lonely and she's the nicest girl. She also brought lots of food, which I think is great. I also met the other new international students: they are so nice. There are girls from Japan, there is a girl from France, Russia, India (Rayika), somewhere in Africa, a boy from Switzerland (Alex, who is also in my OA group), a boy from South-Africa, India, Ecuador and many others from different countries. There are three other Dutchies: Carlijn, who is practically my neighbor and is also in the hockey team, Anne and Marisha.

I met my host family last tuesday. Since me and Carlijn have very few time and get along really well, we decided to 'share' our host family. She is such a nice woman. Her name is Sally and she's a professor and chairwoman at Wittenberg University. She lives close to campus, loves sports (she'll watch most of our games, how sweet!) and already invited us over for breaks. Everyone is so open and friendly and inviting here! I think I've already had four invitations for the breaks, and I haven't even met my classmates yet. The freshmen (there are 500 or 600 of them!) moved in yesterday, so I'm sure I'll meet lots of them in the following days.

Pre-season is tough (I'm so sore) and the fact that I have the New (both normal and International) Student Days only makes it more exhausting. For example, yesterday (thursday), I had to wake up at 4.45 AM, be in the training room (to see the sports doctor, I probably strained my hamstring) at 5.15 AM and be on the field at 6.00 AM. After two hours of practice (we always wear an uniform at practice), we had breakfast, a one hour break and a pool workout (which is harder than it looks) at 10.30 AM. We had lunch at 11.30 AM, the New Student Days program from 1.00 PM to 4.00 PM, practice from 4.00 PM to 6.00 PM (freshmen came in late) and dinner with the team at 6.30 PM. After dinner, it was just the New Student Program: we had a meeting with our RA's at 8.00 PM and went to the hypnotist from 9.30 PM to 11.30 PM. Just a normal day in pre-season you guys, but don't get me wrong: it's a lot of fun too. We've had lots of fun at team dinners, bonfires and the hypnotist and everyone is so nice: the team really is like a family already.

The hypnotist was the coolest thing: so many people were actually hypnotized and doing the weirdest things! I didn't believe in hypnotism before, but I sure do now. I was hypnotized for about two minutes, after which some people in the audience got me out of my concentration by laughing at me and the other teammates that were in a 'trance'. It was the weirdest thing: everything went blurry and white, after which I felt like I was surrounded by fog and couldn't really see anymore. That's when I was brought out of my concentration, so I hadn't followed any of the tasks the hypnotist gave us yet. It felt so good. 


My practice uniform! #18

Campfire with the team

Some really long speech

The hypnotist - The coolest thing ever

1 comment:

  1. Super om te horen van je roommate en host family. En hypnotiseur is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete