Nov 6, 2014

Halloween

This year I celebrated Halloween for the first time! The entire neighborhood was decorated in halloween articles, just like a lot of doors in the dorms. I opened the door for trick-or-treaters, had a halloween practice with the field hockey team and went out the day after Halloween.


The 25th of october was the day that the kids in Springfield celebrated Halloween by going trick-or-treating. It was a lot alike Sint Maarten in the Netherlands, the only differences were that the kids here dress up in costumes and don't sing: they just say trick or treat. Carlijn and I went to Sally (our host family) her house for dinner and to experience what trick or treating was like. Dinner was great: it was amazing to have some real, home-made food again. The trick or treating was even better: there were so many cute kids (and even some less-cute-looking adults) looking like Elsa, a Ninja Turtle, a zombie, you name it. It was adorable and I had a blast. 

The halloween practice on tuesday was so much fun. Vicky, Brownie, Kelly and I wanted to go as a group, but because we went costume shopping last minute we had to improvise. We wanted to go as the cast from Frozen, but the costumes were sold out. After coming up with ideas such as Cruella De Vil and the dalmatians, the cast of Mean Girls and more, we decided to make our costumes ourselves and go as Care Bears. Vicky was dressed up as Bedtime Bear, Brownie was dressed up as Grumpy Bear, Kelly was dressed up as Laugh-a-lot Bear and I was dressed up as Cheer Bear. My teammates were dressed up as dolphins, pimps, Harry Styles, paper, rocks and scissors and more. We had an indoor practice, which was unbelievably hot, but had a fun time. I turned out to make a pretty good goalie. 

We weren't allowed to go out on Halloween, because we had a game the day after, but that turned out to be no problem at all: the day after was just as fun. Because I once again did last minute costume shopping, there wasn't a lot left. I did like my costume though: I ended up going as a pilot. Most parties were closed, so you had to be invited. Some internationals and I were invited to the Betas (a fraternity) their party, so that's where we went. The party wasn't that different from most parties on campus, except for the fact that there was more alcohol (which I wasn't allowed to drink because the team entered the championships, I had just as much fun though), and for the fact that everyone was dressed up. My favorite costume of the night was definitely Bert and Ernie. I can't wait to celebrate Halloween again and am planning on celebrating it again next year. 

Even dorm doors were decorated!

Trick or treat!


The Spirit Store - most people buy there costumes here. I did to: I ended up buying a pilot costume. It was one of the last things left in my size and I thought it was kind of cute :)

The Care Bears!

The entire team was dressed up for the Halloween practice. My absolute favorite costume was Harry Styles - Casey looked just like him!

The pilot and the firefighter (Irene)!

Me, some internationals and some of our friends just before going out.

The party - everyone was dressed up. People were dressed up as anime girls, cowboys, tweedledumb and tweedledumber, police officers and sluts.

Bert and Ernie! Those were my favorite costumes of the night. 

1 comment:


  1. Thank you for your interesting and informative blog. I have enjoyed reading it and appreciate the work you have put into it. Here is some relevant information for you to review .
    Halloween Costumes

    ReplyDelete