Apr 13, 2015

Dad visits! - Chicago

I was beyond excited when my dad told me that he was going to visit me. I couldn't wait for him to see where I was currently living, for him to meet my friends and for him to get a taste of what my life in the U.S. was like. I was also a little excited to eat food that wasn't form the CDR, to leave campus and get to see some more of the U.S. My dad arrived Friday afternoon and after giving him a first glance at campus and at my room, we left to have dinner together. I didn’t realise how much I had missed my dad until I saw him again.

We didn't make it a late night on Friday, because early Saturday morning we wanted to drive to Chicago. The drive took a little longer than we had anticipated, because the Ohio weather had decided overnight that it was time for quite some inches of snow. During the drive, we made a few pit stops, one of them being the Waffle House for some breakfast. It was my first time ever eating there, and it was endearing to see that people from the village that we were in all came there to have a cup of tea or coffee and to chat a little about the weather. We made it to Chicago in the afternoon. Our first stop was an outlet centre, to get the shopping out of the way ;) We bought way more than we were planning to, and found gifts for most of our family members. The drive and the shopping had tired us out a little, so we once again didn't make it a late night, planning on making the most of the following day in Chicago.

Sunday was amazing. It was freezing outside, but in the sun the cold didn't seem so bad. We spent a good part of our day in the Millennium Park. Not only did we walk around, enjoying the skyline, sculptures and the Bean, we also went ice-skating. It was fun to finally ice skate again (I realised that I did really miss this) and it was even more fun to do so with my dad. After a while we got tired and decided to hop onto the underground to get to the Museum of Science and Industry, one of the best museums in Chicago. The museum was incredibly large and had many interactive exhibitions that could keep my attention all day long. When the museum closed, and we had to leave, we decided to go out for dinner and to see Kingsman in a movie theatre close to our hotel. It was a busy but fun day.

Monday was our last day in Chicago and we made sure to make the most out of it. We were so intrigued by the Museum of Science and Industry, that we decided to go again. We had barely seen half of it on Sunday, but had seen most of it at the end of Monday. We also got to see a documentary in the ONIMAX theatre in the museum on D-Day. I had no idea about some of the behind the scenes actions and strategies that were used on that day, and am still impressed by how precise the plan of invasion was. To make this experience even cooler, we got to see one of the very few U-boats that were captured during the war. I cannot get over how interesting it was to see one of them in real life, and to learn more about their role and about how big their role in the war was. After the museum we went to the Watertower, where we got dinner and where we were trying to find a gift for mom and Jules. We spent our last night in Chicago catching up.


Dad arrives in Springfield

On our way to Chicago

Breakfast at the Waffle House

Millennium Park - Dad and The Bean

Millennium Park - The Bean

Millennium Park

Open Theater in the Millennium Park

Iceskating with dad in the Millennium Park

The Pear and The Bean

Taking a break from iceskating

Museum of Science and Industry

A real U-Boat in the Museum of Science and Industry

Museum of Science and Industry

Italian!

Chicago

Last breakfast in Chicago

0 replies:

Post a Comment