Apr 3, 2015

Rush & Bid Day 2015

Every spring semester, sororities and fraternities have their official recruitment during "Rush-week". While fraternity recruitment is pretty laid-back, sorority recruitment was a big deal. The first and most laid-back day of recruitment was Saturday. Because there was no dress code I just went in a sweater, ripped jeans and boots, while many girls were wearing something nice with HEELS. I was glad with my choice of clothing, because it was cold and we were walking all over campus to get from one house to another.

At every house, we got something to drink  and snack while we were thought about what the sorority their philanthropy was, what their sisterhood was like, what their house was like, etcetera. Tori, who I later got to know as BLT, was the girl who introduced me what life as a "snake" was like.

On Thursday, Rush officially began. I made sure to dress a little nicer this day. We got another house tour and got some more in depth information about what the sororities were like. At the end of the night we had to make a top 4 choice of sororities, just like the sororities had to make their preference list.

Friday was Philanthropy night. While not every girl was invited back to a sorority because of the huge amount of girls going through recruitment, most girls were invited back to a maximum of 4 sororities. I was asked back to KD (Kappa Delta) and SK (Sigma Kappa). This night was all about getting to know more about the philanthropies of the sororities, and in most houses you helped make something for a charity. It is amazing how involved sororities are in philanthropies and in community service in general. I have to admit that I was positively surprised. At the end of the day we once again had to make a list with our preferences, this time making a top 2.

Saturday was the most formal day of recruitment: it was preference night and this time everyone was dressed in dresses and heels. This was the night that the sororities tried even more to impress you: after all, if you made it this far, the sorority was beyond just interested in having you become one of their new pledges. They told you about their sisterhood, their community, the life as one of their sisters. It was also the night that made me decide that I for sure wanted to join a sorority. At the end of the night we had to decide whether we wanted to get a bid or not, and we had to decide which sorority was our number one choice.

Sunday was Bid Day, the day that we had all been waiting for. Between 2 and 3 PM the girls that had helped you through recruitment visited your room to let you know if you got a bid, and if you did, who it was from (you can only get one bid on bid day). I accepted my bid and got to know that the dress code was the seventies. At 4 PM we all had to be in the Chapel to start with this new chapter in our lives. We got to meet the girls, take pictures, eat pizza and just hang out. I was beyond excited to be able to meet my new sisters and with finishing the first step to becoming a Sigma Kappa. 


Just received my bid!

All the sororities, cheering their new pledges on


Senior snakes and pledge class!

Me, Kiersten and Carlijn

Eating pizza, drinking soda, watching Friends and getting to know each other!


I got a basket full of love from my heart sister!


All the Field Hockey Snakes - Mac, Jones, Emma, Riley, Car and I


The new sisters!
-

0 replies:

Post a Comment